Create a publisher community to connect directly with the educators using your app. Answer questions, ask for feedback, post instructional content—but mostly, be active! Below are guidelines and best practices for creating an effective and valuable publisher community and building relationships as your technology gets implemented in classrooms across the U.S.
Update Your Account Information
Add Your Company Avatar
Display a unique image to teachers who visit and follow your community page.
- Select “Me” on the right side of the Edmodo toolbar at the top of the page.
- Choose “Settings.”
- Click “Upload a New Photo.”
Note: Your photo or image should be 150 x 150 pixels with a 10 MB maximum file size.
Add Your “About” Information
Provide your community’s value proposition. How will this community benefit teachers? Are there specific types of teachers who will find your community useful? Use this section to tell educators the most important information about your community’s core offerings.
Character maximum: 400
Build Your Collection
Add Files and Links
Share files, links, or embedded content by adding it to your publisher collection. Your publisher collection provides resources to teachers who visit your community page.
- Click the “Collection” icon on your Edmodo toolbar.
- Select the “Add” button at the top right of the page.
To edit content in your collection, select the item and click the pencil icon on the top of the page.
Guidelines for Publisher Collection Content:
- Maximum file size: 10MB
- Description maximum: 200 characters
- Thumbnail dimensions: 120 x 120 pixels. (File thumbnails give teachers a quick glance at what they’re downloading or adding to their libraries.
Create folders in your collection to organize your shared items and to provide a simple
- Click on “Folders” on the left navigation column on the Collection page.
- Select “New Folder” at the top right of the page.
- Click “Collection” on the left navigation column and select the item(s) you want to place in your
- Select the “Folder” icon at the top of the page and pick the folder(s) you want to add the item(s) to.
Add Content to Your “Featured” Folder
You have a unique folder in your collection called “Featured,” where you can highlight the most valuable items for teachers to see. One of these items can be set to appear on your publisher community page above the post stream.
To feature a collection item in the Featured folder:
- Go to your publisher collection.
- Go to the Featured folder.
- View the folder’s contents in List view.
- Select the resource you want to feature.
- Click “Set as Featured.”
This resource will now appear at the top of your community page.
Publish Your Community
Make Your Community Visible
Once you’ve set up your community page, increase its visibility with the “Publish my page” option located on the bottom left of your publisher account homepage.
Add a “Tweet this Community” Widget
- Visit http://clicktotweet.com/
- Type in the tweet you want users to send out when they follow your community on Edmodo.
- e.g., “I just followed the [Your Company Name] Community on Edmodo. You should, too!
- [insert URL to your community page]”
- Select the “Generate Link” button and copy the URL generated.
- Log into your Edmodo account and click the “Collection” icon on your Edmodo toolbar.
- Select the “Add” button located at the top-left corner of the page.
- Choose the “Link” option in the pop-up box, and copy and paste the “Click to Tweet” URL generated in Step 3.
- Upload a thumbnail image, with a title and description, and select “Add”.
Grant Educator Access
Your collection and your community page will be available to teachers from a unique URL: http://www.edmodo.com/publisher/[YourCompanyName]
Although anyone can view the messages posted in your community, only educators who follow the community can post a message.
Educators who previously joined other Edmodo communities can immediately begin posting to your community by clicking the green “Follow Publisher” button.
To maintain the integrity of communities, all educators must be verified as a teacher associated with a school. Educators can request to be verified by clicking the “Request Posting Rights” button at the top of your community page. Requests are routed to the Edmodo team who reviews for legitimacy. Once verified, educators are notified via email they have posting rights. The review process takes approximately 48 hours.
All educators (your community followers or not) can add all content shared on your community as well as content in your collection to their own libraries.
You can interact with teachers in your community by sending posts, sharing content, creating polls, and asking questions. When you log in to Edmodo, you’ll be presented with the internal view of your community. To send new posts and replies, enter a message in the post bubble or click the “Reply” icon below each post.
Leverage Social Media
Seed the Discussion in Your Community
Help educators visualize your service in their classrooms by providing concrete ideas and activities. Identify “power users” who can serve as educator evangelists for your service.
Announce Your Community on Social Media
Promote the launch of your Edmodo community page on Twitter and Facebook. Include your community’s vanity URL in your tweet or post. e.g., “I just followed [Your Company Name] on Edmodo. You should, too! [Your Community Vanity URL].”
Add a Welcome Post
Show your appreciation for your followers by posting welcome messages on your community page.
“Welcome to the [ xxx ] community, where we provide [ xxx ]! We’ve posted some [ sample lessons, content, video, etc ]—click “Collection” at the top of the page to add these items to your library and use with your students today.”
“We’d love to hear your thoughts on how you’re using [ xxx ] lessons in the classroom. Please come back often and share your experiences with the community!”
Implement the “Edmodo Share” Button
Allow Edmodo educators to share your resources with their groups and connections. When users click “Edmodo Share” on your community page, the content is embedded as a link attachment to a post that users can send to their groups and connections.
To embed the “Edmodo Share” feature, contact email@example.com for the code and image files.
Post a Message to Your Newsletter or Blog
Send out an email announcement and/or create a blog post about your community page on Edmodo.
We have an Edmodo community page!
For educators not yet using Edmodo in the classroom, it’s a free and secure social learning network for teachers, students, and schools. On Edmodo, teachers and students can collaborate, share content, and use educational apps to augment classroom learning with fun and engaging technology.
For those of you already using Edmodo in the classroom, this community provides a seamless way for you to integrate our content directly into your classroom activities, saving you time searching for relevant materials.
We’re excited about our community.. Visit us at Edmodo.com/publisher/[YourCompanyName] today and browse our collection for materials you can use in your classroom tomorrow!